Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Design for my garage shop

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:21:15 -0400, "Bill" wrote:

Please excuse my top-posting here. I just wanted to mention that I went
back and reread all of the responses I recieved to my post to the current
thread a month ago and I am actively trying to incorporate some of the
suggestions that were made into my shop design. I'm even learning a bit
about electricity...who would have guessed that a 240v line is powered by
two 120v lines! : )

It isn't. A 120V line is half of a 240V line. ;-)

I've got a 240v line on the outside of the brick garage (previously used by
an RV owner). I'd like to flip the line around for use on the inside and
put 120v instead on the outside. I'm confident about the former, the
latter I'll do if the outlet fixture sizes are compatible enough. Haven't
done my homework on that yet as the idea just occurred to me a few days ago.

If there are four wires here, you can simply put a subpanel in its place and
wire 120 or 240 circuits out of it. You will be limited to the current
supported by the wire size.

I will surely need to take down the wallboard on the uninsulated wall on one
side of the garage for the sake of the electrical improvements. The side
which has our kitchen on the other side surely has insulation, other
electric, plumbing?,etc., behind it. I am less enthused about "messing"
with that wall. I'll have to give that more thought.

My current interior 220v outlet is currently pretty close to the floor.
Does the electrical "code" cite a minimum for that?

If it's there, leave it. Does it get wet?

BTW, I currently have 3 36" neon lamps..I think I'm going to have 6. Plugs
in the ceiling would be convenient..

Fluorescent?