Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Precision Framing Square?

Upscale wrote:
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:12:39 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

I'm working on a project, and have determined that both of my framing
squares aren't square. I have a precison machinists square I
checked them against, and the 24" one is close, but the 12" one is
way off. As a guess, the 24" one is out of square by more than
1/32" of an inch, and the 12" is off by half again or twice that
much.

I need something bigger than the machinists square for woodworking,
but I certainly can't rely on the old fashion stamped steel ones
from Home Despot.

a squared + b squared = c squared?
If you need something bigger than a 24" square, but not very often,
then Pythagoras can help you out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem

Even easier is a 3x4x5 triangle, or multiples thereof.