Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Precision Framing Square?

Doug White wrote:
I'm working on a project, and have determined that both of my framing
squares aren't square. I have a precison machinists square I checked
them against, and the 24" one is close, but the 12" one is way off.
As a guess, the 24" one is out of square by more than 1/32" of an
inch, and the 12" is off by half again or twice that much.

I need something bigger than the machinists square for woodworking,
but I certainly can't rely on the old fashion stamped steel ones from
Home Despot.

Suggestions?

Get this one from Harbor Freight;
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=9541

It may not be any more square than the ones you've got, but at least it's
readable!

The stamped steel squares you mentioned are difficult to read after a few
years. This one has a yellow enameled surface with brown numbers on its
face.

The HF model even has a set of numbers called "centimeters" which, I think,
have something to do with the quantity of different fruits that will fit in
a standard peck.