Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Precision Framing Square?

On 3/14/2010 10:12 AM, Doug White wrote:
I'm working on a project, and have determined that both of my framing
squares aren't square. I have a precison machinists square I checked them
against, and the 24" one is close, but the 12" one is way off. As a guess,
the 24" one is out of square by more than 1/32" of an inch, and the 12" is
off by half again or twice that much.

I need something bigger than the machinists square for woodworking, but I
certainly can't rely on the old fashion stamped steel ones from Home
Despot.

Suggestions?

I bought a Lee Valley's stainless carpenter's square a couple of years
back and was delighted to discover that (as far as I've been able to
determine) it's dead-on square. I use it to square up my CNC router.

Almost as good: there's not a speck of rust on it.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar