Posted to rec.woodworking

Default oversize mailing box blues

Small boxes get lost in machines. The boxes used from various larger
shippers are standard sizes for the machines in the sorting center.

Odd stuff and small stuff gets hand sorted - someday.

Look at the express mail boxes - 12x12x and 11x17x and such.
Their general mass will respond to movers on the path - routing it
left or right from the main.

I send a 12x12 box that was 40#'s flat rate. It gets across the country
in 2 days and delivered in 2 or 3 days for a total of 2-3 days.

Martin

HeyBub wrote:
mac davis wrote:
I ordered 2 carbide cutters for a turning tool from Crafts Supply..
Each cutter is in a plastic box about an inch square and maybe 3/4"
thick..

They came today in a 7" x 7" x 4" box, filled with inflatable
bladders.. Seems like a padded envelope or MUCH smaller box would be
cheaper to buy and cost less to mail, besides killing less trees..

I know.. picky, picky, picky... but I hate to see waste like this,
especially from a place that ships thousands of packages a month..

Mail goes (mainly) by weight, not size. If you mail a Helium-filled ballon,
the postal service will pay you.