Posted to uk.d-i-y
Duncan Di Saudelli Duncan Di Saudelli is offline

Default "Earth" floating at 80-120V ... why?

Hello

I noticed that a light switch back box measured around 100V ac w.r.t. the
cold water tap in our recently-purchased house. I checked the earth bonding
on the metal pipework for the hot and the cold tap and the radiator; all are
at the same zero volt potential. I checked the earth of a nearby mains
socket and saw no p.d. between it and the pipework mentioned. I looked
around the house and I see lots of earth bonding that has been carried out
within the last 3-4 years.

Measuring a current flow to ground from this "dodgy" earth, I see a couple
of hundred microamps flowing (actually about 275uA). Not enough to hurt but
you can just about feel a "buzz" on your finger tip.

I shall start trying to trace the lighting ring main back, but I am puzzled
as to why this lighting ring earth should float when a nearby socket ring
main earth doesn't. I am yet to carry out furthr investigations i.e. other
looking at other ring circuits.

Maybe this is a simple fix but I'd appreciate some guidance before I get up
loads of floorboards etc.

thanks in advance

DDS