Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Cross cutting a dado

On Mar 10, 6:31*am, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 3/9/2010 10:28 PM, Father Haskell wrote: On Mar 9, 7:13 am, Puckdropperpuckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com *wrote:
I picked up a stacked dado set last week, and am working on building a
simple bookcase. *All the shelves will rest in dados, so I'd like to use
the dado set to ensure a consistent fit.

Here's the problem: *The outer supports are 6' tall, and two shelves must
be at the ends of the boards. *My table saw won't support a board that long
without the board tipping.

I'm looking at building a side stand to support the extra length of the
board, but was wondering if anyone else had a suggestion. *I don't have a
RAS.

Human helper. *Cost = 1 case beer.

That tends to need to scratch his noise at the worst possible, about
half way through the cut, or gets distracted by the bug on the wall and
watches it and lets the board bind in the saw.

The helper's job is to support the weight of the board,
not steer it. Supporting the weight of a shelf standard
only takes one hand. He can pick his nose or drink a
beer with the other.