Posted to rec.woodworking
chaniarts chaniarts is offline

Default 144,000 horsepower

Morris Dovey wrote:
On 3/12/2010 1:27 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

That should be about the same power output as the old Evinrude
Lightwin. Not gonna move a Hobie _fast_ but it will move it at a
useful speed assuming you don't lose much efficiency in the
propulsor.

Thanks, John, that's what I needed to know. I'm not sure how well it's
going to work out, but that tells me that it's worth a try. The engine
isn't anywhere near as big a deal as the tracking system needed to
keep the collector pointed at the sun.

Propulsion will be essentially a straight path with a tee connection
to the engine between a pair of check valves. During the expansion
half of the cycle water will be discharged rearward, and during the
contraction half of the cycle water will be sucked in from the
forward direction.
I don't need to go fast - I just need to come _back_.

ron @ fastlane sailing in san diego (http://www.fastlanesailing.com/) has a
hobie with a hard deck and power boat console mounted on top. they run
theirs with an outboard, but i don't know how big it is. you might contact
him for further details.