Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default 144,000 horsepower

On Mar 12, 1:32*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
On 3/12/2010 11:09 AM, Robatoy wrote:

On Mar 12, 10:57 am, Morris *wrote:
On 3/11/2010 8:15 AM, Robatoy wrote:

15-20 knots and 6-ft chop wouldn't even get my old Hoby 16 airborne. I
miss that thing, but I couldn't take the pounding at this age.

Just wondering...

If I reworked a Hoby as a jet boat, how much power do you guess it might
take to push it along at, say, 5 and 10 mph?

I might be about to set my beer aside and try something goofy...

Jet? As in water jet or Jet Jet? *s* But you wouldn't be talking
fluidyne here, eh?

Yup - fluidyne water jet. I've been doing a lot of re-design and it
appears that I can boost both the efficiency and the oscillation rate to
the limits of mechanical check valves.

With a platform like the Hoby, I think I can mount a tracking solar
concentrator and have 3-4 kW of input power to work with and (perhaps)
50% of that in pump power.

My problem is that I'm not sure that'd be enough to pull a twin-hull
platform.

Heh - it just occurred to me that if I needed a horn, I could disconnect
the pump and use the engine (at say, } to warn off the jet
skiers.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I thoroughly despise jet skis..... to be more precise, I thoroughly
despise the Great Unwashed who seem to see the need to get drunk and
destroy the very expensive peace and quiet one pays for on the shores
of otherwise untainted inland lakes.