Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ### Nail gun art

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:29:59 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

Smitty

#######################
I did some research =

###############################
Fake, for several reasons:

* As any shooter will know, shooting from the hip like that is very
inaccurate.

Tell that to a gunslinger who shoots 12,000 round a month. Muscle
memory becomes extremely good.

* You can't keep the rate of fire that those nails appeared at with a
semi-automatic for that long, especially not if you want to maintain
accuracy.

Didn't you see his calloused trigger finger?

* The rate the nails appeared at is much higher than the rate of the
trigger pulls.

Bump-firing does that.

* Not a single nail bounces off another nail (which would also be
quite dangerous, and they should have worn more than simple eye
protection).

Poetic license for Pros.

* All the nails are hammered in perfectly straight to exactly the same
depth. A nail is hardly a ballistically stable projectile, and I
wouldn't expect such perfect results.

No, the first several were 3/8" deeper due to the static PSI. Running
psi nails were all the same.

* A nail gun is not made to fire nails on a predictable trajectory.
There would be a larger inaccuracy inherent in it.

What? The guy's obviously a pro.

* No one got hurt. Due to the risk of bouncing nails off other nails,
and nails tumbling and not hitting point first, nails should be flying
all over the place.

Pro.

Also, but I'm not quite sure of this, I've never seen flat head nails
used in a nail gun, I've only seen nails with a small conical head
(Dyckert in Swedish, have no idea what the English word is. See image
for dyckert on wikipedia:http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyckert).

Those are roofing nails. _Very_ common.
http://tinyurl.com/y8ghxho

Smitty

how about an endless magazine?

Pretty trick, wot? I'm sure they duct-taped rolls together. Didn't
you see the end of the endless roll on the table in the forefront?

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.