Posted to rec.woodworking
allen476 allen476 is offline

Default ### Nail gun art

On Mar 11, 8:16*pm, " wrote:
On Mar 11, 2:51*pm, Chasgroh wrote:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:47:27 -0600, Dave Balderstone

wrote:
In article
,
" wrote:

Anybody with a sheet of plywood & a nail gun
wanna try this ?

http://www.wimp.com/nailart/

Smitty

Wish I could believe it was real...

...yah, that's some cool BS there... *

cg

#######################
I did some research =

###############################
Fake, for several reasons:

* As any shooter will know, shooting from the hip like that is very
inaccurate.
* You can't keep the rate of fire that those nails appeared at with a
semi-automatic for that long, especially not if you want to maintain
accuracy.
* The rate the nails appeared at is much higher than the rate of the
trigger pulls.
* Not a single nail bounces off another nail (which would also be
quite dangerous, and they should have worn more than simple eye
protection).
* All the nails are hammered in perfectly straight to exactly the same
depth. A nail is hardly a ballistically stable projectile, and I
wouldn't expect such perfect results.
* A nail gun is not made to fire nails on a predictable trajectory.
There would be a larger inaccuracy inherent in it.
* No one got hurt. Due to the risk of bouncing nails off other nails,
and nails tumbling and not hitting point first, nails should be flying
all over the place.

Also, but I'm not quite sure of this, I've never seen flat head nails
used in a nail gun, I've only seen nails with a small conical head
(Dyckert in Swedish, have no idea what the English word is. See image
for dyckert on wikipedia:http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyckert).

Smitty

Also at 51 seconds you can see 2 distinct and very separate lines
being formed at the same time. Also the nails feeding into the gun
appear more like a cartoon drawing than real.

Allen