Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Robert Macy Robert Macy is offline

Default Need a sound recorder, what should I get?

On Mar 11, 5:08*am, PeterD wrote:
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:46:53 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy

wrote:
Need a sound recorder for recording noise intrusion from an adjacent
tenant.

Why? A recording would prove nothing. You need to measure sound
levels, not record the sounds. A sensitive microphone would pick up
the smallest of sounds so there would be no way to determine that the
neighbor's noise/sounds were a problem or not. As well, what does your
lease say on noise, and his? If it is not covered, prepair for a long
hard time.

Using Sony ICD-SX700 did not achieve very good results.

What should I use?

I'd use the threat of moving out at the end of my lease.

We have our TV on while this is going on, that makes a great reference
and/or talking and living normally as a comparison.

Lease says "no tenant can operate a TV, Musical Device, of Computer
Sound System in a manner that disturbs another tenant" no hours of
operation, no arbitrary interpretation. That's why we moved in.

I'm a firm believer in victims should not take action, perpetrators
should.

if our landlord cannot, or will not, provide quiet enjoyment, no
waiting for end of lease, they have failed, and now must pay for move
and all costs.