Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 144,000 horsepower

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:39:38 -0700, the infamous Doug Winterburn
scrawled the following:

Robert Bonomi wrote:
In article ,
HeyBub wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 10, 4:01 pm, Pat Barber wrote:
Which is how/why she could do 44kts(50mph), which is
pretty much hauling ass for anything that size in the
water.

Zz Yzx wrote:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...on/4263478.htm...
Funny thing is, that she would probably do 42 kts with 50,000 HP and
the next 2 knots would take 3 times as much. Such is the rule of
displacement vessels. To take that one theoretical step further, if
they wanted to go 46 knots, they's need 400,000 HP. 47kt 1 million. 50
kts a bezllion HP
I think 55 knots or so is the theoretical maximum a vessel can move through
the water, irrespective of the power pushing it.

Nope. not even close

Currently, unlimited power-boat races are in the 160MPH range. in years past,
they got up into the 200 MPH range, but engine/fuel restrictions have brought
the speeds down.

'Cigarette' boats can reach 80+knots in calm water.

Some torpedoes -- which travel entirely underwater -- have sustained speeds
well over 100 knots.

unlimiteds aren't displacement boats, they're hydroplanes. Cigarette
boats are also on plane at speed and therefore not displacement vessels.

I can't wait to see the next hydroplaning aircraft carrier!

My physicist buddy that does torpedo testing says max speed for a
conventional torpedo is 55 knots, but supercavitating torpedoes are
capable of much higher speeds by essentially traveling in a gas bubble
and are therefore also not technically [water] displacement devices.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/7151 233mph torpedo.

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.