Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Red Cedar queston

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 07:14:44 -0600, the infamous Norvin
scrawled the following:

My son asked what I thought about using western red cedar as interior
millwork around doors and windows. Since I am not that familiar with
cedar, I thought I would ask here. All pros and cons are welcome.

To add to Swingy's notes, it is also a very soft wood which cracks
easily (drill first, nail later) and is feathery when sanded. Final
sanding has to be done after a coat or two of finish goes on if you
want a really smooth result. Lots of PNW lodges are fit in WRC,
usually roughsawn for the rustic look and feel. Ditto the old Sundance
Meadows timeshare I used to own. Lotsa roughsawn cedar in that dude
ranch theme.

It's good looking when used as an interior wood. Just work around its
limitations, Norvin.

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.
-- Chuang-tzu