Posted to rec.woodworking
Chasgroh Chasgroh is offline

Default Cross cutting a dado

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 18:31:57 -0800, "LDosser"
wrote:

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
On 3/9/2010 7:13 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I picked up a stacked dado set last week, and am working on building a
simple bookcase. All the shelves will rest in dados, so I'd like to use
the dado set to ensure a consistent fit.

Here's the problem: The outer supports are 6' tall, and two shelves must
be at the ends of the boards. My table saw won't support a board that
long
without the board tipping.

I'm looking at building a side stand to support the extra length of the
board, but was wondering if anyone else had a suggestion. I don't have a
RAS.

Puckdropper

While the router jig method is a good way to go I believe you have a
bigger problem that needs to be solved. Based on what you said it sounds
like you are just getting into woodworking (Excuse me if I am wrong.)

The resolution is to build the side table as the need for it will not go
away. Today its cutting dados, tomorrow its cutting plywood sheets, the
next day it is cutting something else that is to big for your existing
system.

The side table could be in the form of removable extensions on the saw, or
in an actual side table.

I solved the problem by making a side table (for me it is my work bench)
It is based on a 2'X 4' piece of plywood. The top is a frame of half
lapped 2"X4" dados to accept the plywood. The rest of the bench is made
from 2"X4", all joints half lapped. it has enclosed cabinets at both ends
with a two large shelves between the end cabinets. The side table is on
wheels.

The side table was carefully measured to be the exact height of my table
saw when it is sitting on the floor for use. This side table can be used
as an out feed for ripping long pieces of wood and as a support table for
large sheet of plywood or long boards.

You must have a spectacularly Flat floor. Issue I've had with separate side
tables is getting the tops of the saw and table coplanar.

....that's why they make decks of co-dependent playing cards!

cg