Posted to rec.woodworking
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default Cross cutting a dado

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message

I picked up a stacked dado set last week, and am working on building a
simple bookcase. All the shelves will rest in dados, so I'd like to use
the dado set to ensure a consistent fit.

Here's the problem: The outer supports are 6' tall, and two shelves must
be at the ends of the boards. My table saw won't support a board that
long
without the board tipping.

I'm looking at building a side stand to support the extra length of the
board, but was wondering if anyone else had a suggestion. I don't have a
RAS.

I recently cut dadoes on the 7' sides of a bookcase. I used a 3/4" straight
bit in my router and a clamp-on cutting guide. The 3/4" poplar shelves were
so snug in the 1/4"-deep dadoes I had to sand them a bit so they would fit.

If I had a table-saw I'd use a couple of adjustable roller stands (which I
do have) and a hunk of plywood to support the other end of the work piece.