Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cross cutting a dado

Keith Nuttle wrote in
:

While the router jig method is a good way to go I believe you have a
bigger problem that needs to be solved. Based on what you said it
sounds like you are just getting into woodworking (Excuse me if I am
wrong.)

The resolution is to build the side table as the need for it will not
go away. Today its cutting dados, tomorrow its cutting plywood
sheets, the next day it is cutting something else that is to big for
your existing system.

The side table could be in the form of removable extensions on the
saw, or in an actual side table.

I solved the problem by making a side table (for me it is my work
bench)
It is based on a 2'X 4' piece of plywood. The top is a frame of
half
lapped 2"X4" dados to accept the plywood. The rest of the bench is
made from 2"X4", all joints half lapped. it has enclosed cabinets at
both ends with a two large shelves between the end cabinets. The side
table is on wheels.

The side table was carefully measured to be the exact height of my
table saw when it is sitting on the floor for use. This side table
can be used as an out feed for ripping long pieces of wood and as a
support table for large sheet of plywood or long boards.

I like the system because as a part time hobbyist, I can arrange my
saw and side table into the best configuration for the project that I
am doing. Usually it is placed to the right and slightly behind me
so that as I cut a pieced I can turn, place the piece just cut on the
table, and pick up the next. All other tools; square, tape measure,
pencils etc. are convenient on the side table.

As I have a small shop in my garage, every thing can be rolled to the
side and the car placed in the garage when I am not working there.

Hm... half laps and rabbets. Sounds like a job for a dado stack!

You've mentioned wheels. Are they locking casters, or do you have a
system where there's two fixed wheels and two casters? It seems to me
locking casters would want to move as a board was slid over the top.

The side table as you describe it sounds like a worthy shop project in
and of itself. It'll give me a good place to store the various saw
blades and tools I need for the saw.

Puckdropper