Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Cross cutting a dado

On 3/9/2010 6:13 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I picked up a stacked dado set last week, and am working on building a
simple bookcase. All the shelves will rest in dados, so I'd like to use
the dado set to ensure a consistent fit.

Here's the problem: The outer supports are 6' tall, and two shelves must
be at the ends of the boards. My table saw won't support a board that long
without the board tipping.

I'm looking at building a side stand to support the extra length of the
board, but was wondering if anyone else had a suggestion. I don't have a
RAS.

Keith' got your solution if you want to use your dado stack.

My setup for the above is a folding roller table (sometimes 2) used as a
side extension table for the left tilt table saw, and an mdf sacrificial
fence on the table saw.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10761

I generally dislike cutting dados with a router unless there is no other
way ... too slow ... and to do so on a workpiece that already has dados
that have been cut on the table saw, it would be a last resort option.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08