Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sparks Fergusson Sparks Fergusson is offline

Default Air Compressor Problem - Motor Stalls

"William R. Walsh"
m wrote:

Hi!

You should check the pressure switch contacts to be sure they aren't
burned. If they look OK, check the wiring leading to the compressor.
Perhaps something is wrong there. (Be sure you shut the power off FIRST
or you could have a shocking experience.)

Pressure switch contacts look OK, and there's minimal voltage drop
across under load. Wiring looks OK, too.

Failing all of that, I'd check to see if the motor uses a run capacitor.
If it does, the capacitor is probably bad.

There is a capacitor, but I'm not sure exactly what it does. I don't
have a wiring diagram and can't find any info on the Manufacturer's
website (GE.) I'll try to check the capacitor as best I can.

Could a capacitor issue cause the motor to start fine, but not have
enough power when running?