Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_2_] David WE Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default Cutting concrete blocks

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Getting closer to wall building time now the weather has warmed up a bit;
if only it would stop raining!

I will obviously need to cut concrete blocks - I will be using the 'medium
density' blocks for external walls with no rendering.
[At least I think the normal ones are described as 'medium density' - it
does beg the question as to what 'dense' blocks are.]

snip
Is scoring all the way round with a small angle grinder a good way to
prepare blocks for cutting?

The alternative seems to be the huge and nasty looking stone cutters you
see builders using.
These look expensive and potentially dangerous.
Are these necessary or are there better ways?

snip

If in doubt, go for the brutal option.

I tried scoring a block with an angle grinder and then using a bolster and
club hammer and the 100mm block broke and the join on the 3/4 block was very
ragged because of all the aggregate.

Went and hired a petrol powered stone cutter and it went through the block
like a knife through (hard) butter.
Looking at the cut face there were some really chunky bits of stone and I
don't see any way that those would split cleanly with a bolster.

So noisy and dusty is the way to go.

Cheers

Dave R