Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sparks Fergusson Sparks Fergusson is offline

Default Air Compressor Problem - Motor Stalls

(GregS) wrote:

In article ,
(GregS) wrote:

Check the line voltage while opperating at the motor.
I can do that stall with a long extension cord.

greg

Is it oiless ?If so, check the bearing.

greg

Line voltage is OK, about 123 volts. It drops to around 121 volts when
the motor stalls. Voltage drop across the pressure switch is minimal
(less than a volt.) I'm not using an extension cord.

The compressor is oil filled, and has oil in it (although it is rather
old oil, come to think of it.) But, I can easily turn the compressor
over by hand and it feels like it's moving freely, with no excess
friction or binding.

Thanks!