Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] nobody@nowhere.org is offline

Default OT Its getting bloody awful!

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:41:52 -0600, "Snag"
wrote:

Winston wrote:
fired this volley in news:hmls2q08u3
@news4.newsguy.com:

BTW, I'm thinking of welding up some wheeled brackets that would
allow a contractor friend to easily move 100 lb. sheets of 1"
plywood. Envision a set of bicycle 'training wheels' on a U bracket so
that
he could roll the sheets individually into position rather than
having to dead-lift several, twice a day. I remember having seen
something like that in a catalog once upon a time, but not since.

The drywall guys call that a "scatter dolly". If you check out a
dealer, you'll see they offer both "boom" and "scatter" delivery.

LLoyd

I see 'Sheet Rock Dolly'. That looks promising.

Thanks, Lloyd!

--Winston

The sheet rock dolly I'm familiar with has four wheels and can hold about 25
sheets at a time . If I understand you want something that can move one
sheet at a time into position for fastening ?
Something like an extra-extra wide hand truck (aka two-wheel dolly) should
work quite well . If you're talking about rolling it over to put on a saw ,
think carpet dolly type , two larger wheels , so you can slide the ply onto
it vertical , then break it over to horizontal at or near saw table height .
I usually work alone , and hate to lift heavy stuff ... especially awkward
stuff like plywood and particle board .

Which reminds me that glaziers also use a dolly for moving large
sheets of glass and mirrors. I have no idea what it's called anymore.

Newb