Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Small Home Project

On 3/3/2010 7:30 PM, Dave In Texas wrote:

"jloomis" wrote in message
Nice tie in. Don't you love the inspectors. I deal with that always.
Being a Building Contractor I have to decide whether to bring in the
County Office or go for it.
sometimes in a rural area I can get away without a permit.
I tell you, I build it stronger than the engineer too.
Looks like you did a very nice job! Not sure why the gas vent is
coming out at an angle?
Anyway, it does not hurt anything and all that is is cosmetic.
Hey, good work.

Thanks, John. When I did get the 'windstorm' inspection last week our
building inspector (not the same guy as the code enforcement officer -
go figure) seemed duly impressed, I think, account I wasn't just some
DIY homeowner cobbling a project like this together.
Called today for the framing inspection. I don't understand how this
part works. 98% of the framing was in place when the guy did the
windstorm inspection. I mean, you have to put all the framing in place
so you can put all the hurricane ties and metal connectors in place.
Very little in the way of structural framing has been added. But, he
said to call for the framing inspection after the roof went on and so, I
did. Boxing in the soffits is about all the 2X work left though I did
add a pair of strongbacks.

Well done! Better man than me in this day and age ... I hate
finishing/painting, but would do it 20 hours a day instead of framing at
my age.

As you've found out, windstorm is a completely different and separate
inspection than framing, and deals with strapping, gable end bracing
(also checked in framing inspections in hurricane areas), sheer wall,
etc (last not applicable in a single story).

What part of Texas? One thing I did notice is an apparent absence of
collar ties in your rafters (unless you put them in later, or they just
can't be seen in the pictures)? If that is the case, that absence would
guarantee a fail on the framing inspection in the Gulf Coast regions I
build in, but that would depend upon your area.

Any way ... judging by the photos, you did a better job than many
framing crews these days.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08