Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_4_] Steve B[_4_] is offline

Default Bar oil for electric chain saw.

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Steve B" wrote in message

reply: Thank you. I learned something. That makes my day, learning
something every day. There have been times when I was out of bar oil and
didn't run my saw. Now, I'll use bar oil when I have it, and use other
things, which I have several gallons of, when I don't have bar oil. BTW,
I bought a gallon of bar oil whilst at the local farm supply house on
sale, still high in price with relations to other lubricating fluids.

Steve

Steve, the multi-visicoty oils work but do sling a little. 30W
non-detergent works fine. Most what I personally use.

Have a friend who lives on a farm. Never uses anything but old filtered
motor oil from his cars, tractors or whatever. His heavily used 25 year
old saw seemed to be going strong the last time I saw it.

As I was watching mine, I figured so long as it doesn't go dry, that it
wouldn't matter. And yes, the thinner, the more sling. I just wasn't sure.

Steve