Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_4_] Steve B[_4_] is offline

Default Bar oil for electric chain saw.

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
On Mar 3, 12:02 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

In article , willshak
wrote:
I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I
have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain
saw or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

There's no such thing as "bar oil for a gas chain saw". It's just "bar
oil".
For any kind of chain saw. What you have will work just fine.

If that is the case, then you can just use a thicker weight auto engine
oil.
It's a damn sight cheaper.

Steve

Any lighter weight oil will do. I often use the cheap transmission
oil as another poster also said. In the winter it doesn't get as
thick. But I'll put just about anything in, left over power steering
or brake fluid, motor cycle fork oil, etc.

reply: Thank you. I learned something. That makes my day, learning
something every day. There have been times when I was out of bar oil and
didn't run my saw. Now, I'll use bar oil when I have it, and use other
things, which I have several gallons of, when I don't have bar oil. BTW, I
bought a gallon of bar oil whilst at the local farm supply house on sale,
still high in price with relations to other lubricating fluids.

Steve