Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default OT Its getting bloody awful!

On 3/3/2010 8:41 AM, Snag wrote:

(...)

The sheet rock dolly I'm familiar with has four wheels and can hold about 25
sheets at a time . If I understand you want something that can move one
sheet at a time into position for fastening ?

Sort of. My pal the contractor places 4x8 sheets of 1" plywood on
pavers. It prevents paver damage when the skid-steer loader makes
it's commute into the back yard several times a day.

One of the guys dead-lifts each of these sheets off the pile every morning
and makes a 'wood road' across the driveway. Every afternoon, he dead-lifts
each sheet and stacks it neatly in the side yard once again. It makes
my back hurt just thinking about this.

I'd like to reduce their medical costs by providing a way to roll each
sheet on wheels instead. It'd be cool if the wheels locked when the
dolly had less than 10 lbs load, so that it wouldn't roll away when

Something like an extra-extra wide hand truck (aka two-wheel dolly) should
work quite well . If you're talking about rolling it over to put on a saw ,
think carpet dolly type , two larger wheels , so you can slide the ply onto
it vertical , then break it over to horizontal at or near saw table height .

That'd work but I don't want the cart to zip into the street, propelled
by the angled driveway.

I usually work alone , and hate to lift heavy stuff ... especially awkward
stuff like plywood and particle board .

"Working smarter". I like that.

--Winston