Posted to uk.d-i-y
JimK[_2_] JimK[_2_] is offline

Default Cutting concrete blocks

On Mar 2, 3:38 pm, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

I'm having a little trouble visualising all this but here goes:-

As I am building up to my 3 rear boundaries I have decided to site the
stove
pipe as far away from all the neighbours and their washing as possible.

but will they (reasonably) be hanging washing out when you need the
stove lit?

Yes - the two neighbours at the bottom of my garden (I am near a corner
where two roads meet so the gardens of the houses in the street at right
angles go across the bottom of my garden) both put washing out every day.
The bottom but one garden has an impressive pole which raises the washing up
to first floor level - rather like the flags of a ship entering port.

but do they really hang washing out on rainy days or in winter when
it's proper cold?!

As I intend to have work surfaces either side under the windows I need
some
protection from direct radiation and also contact.
I may also make provision for stacking wood either side of the stove to
aid
the final drying process.

how will the worktops be held up either side of the stove then?
and how much gap would there be between the drying wood and the stove?

They will either be on wooden frames or on wood attached to the mini walls.
Plenty of scope for recovering old kitchen base units and reusing them.

Gap between stove and wood is up for calculation but I am currently
visualising something like a chimney breast without the bit that goes over
the fire. This is where the stove used to be in our other house. A bit more
width gives extra space for stacking wood

It depends on how much room I have.
Air flow will be from a vent by the base of the stove so it won't be
stifled.

A Vent to where? if to outside... I'd not bother as you'll *always* be
trying to heat cold outside air sucked straight in rather than
reheating warmer inside air....path of least resistance and all
that...

In a habitable room a solid fuel stove must have permanent ventilation from
the outside.

erm sometimes:-

1) - the definition of "habitable room" is up for grabs to say the
least.
you're building a luxury shed aren;t you? of a size ISTR that does not
involve BRegs or PP? so you can of course do what you like ;)

2) permanent vents only needed for stoves over 5kw - yours is 4kw from
the link you gave, plus BRegs don't apply to your construction so ....

Better to take fesh air in at the base of the stove and draw it straight
into the stove than draw cold air across the room and take warm air into the
stove.

Not in my book no - that will mangle any convection currents you (or
at least I :)) would be looking to create as there would then be less
(warm or cool) air movement around the room.

Have a look at your stove and see where the airwash vents are...I
expect they'll be at the top on the front so that cold air from
outside is going to have to travel a fair way (and get warmed up in
the process) before it gets anywhere near where you want it to
go...assuming you will be burning wood you'll be using airwash/top fed
air all the time.

There are also arguments about air vents doing the opposite of what
they're supposed to in unfavourable weather conditions -i.e. working
backwards..

Granted that the greatest radiation of heat is given if the radiating body
is in the centre of the area to be heated I haven't seem many houses with
radiators slap bang in the middle of the lounge ;-)

Thats beacuse they work by convection rather than true radiation ;)

My main concern is keeeping the hot stove seperate from work areas and
cupboards.

I may add extra insulation behind the stove to keep more heat in the room -
this shouldn't be difficult.

Any pier to provide support to the wall is unlikely to come into the room as
far as the stove.
In fact, I might just put a standard pier directly behind where the stove is
to go, giving a double thickness wall.

could you insulate within it? like a cavity wall?

Width is 389mm so a 440mm wide pier directly behind it seems reasonable,
with a wall 4 blocks high either side to form a protective barrier for the
rest of the room.

I still don't understand what you're seeking to protect and from what
- the stove you mention is 4kw peak flat out

However if you take my point and make those 4 block high walls
thermally seperate form the rest of the building- *once they have
warmed up* they'll then radiate the heat back out for longer than the
stove is lit....

Cheers
JimK