Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.design
JosephKK[_3_] JosephKK[_3_] is offline

Default generator conclusion

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:45:13 -0500, "Jon" wrote:

service

120vac 120vac signal
o o o
| | |
o o------------*
\ main \ |
o o |
| | |
| house | |
| | |
| | |
| barn | (COIL)
--- --- | generator ignition
-/- N.C. -/- N.C.. | o
| | | |
o generator o | ---
--- --- N.O.
- |
gnd |
---
-
chassis

This is my design, it *will* work, I ordered the parts, it meets my needs, I
ordered the parts and it's what I'm going to do.

All I care about is protecting the generator. The coil has to be energized
24/7 to do it, but there's no other way.

You have been told the right way several times. You did not read what you
need to know. This has safety and operational issues that you are willfully
ignoring. Your design will not work, and it may kill people including your
own family members.

* if the generator isn't feeding power to the house and barn, it means we
forgot to turn off the main switch and we are feeding power into the grid.
To remedy this we can turn off the main switch. The generator will still be
ok.

No it won't!! Your generator will them be tasked with powering up all of your
neighbors, perhaps for many miles until that main is manually switched.
And 10 kW ain't nearly enough to power all your neighbors, then the genset dies,
perhaps with gouts of flame. Get the picture?

Get a pro to install an Automatic Bus Transfer Switch (ABT) and an automatic
generator starter circuit.

* if the power goes on it will cut the generator ignition and open the feed
contacts. If the main switch is off anyway, this won't harm the generator.
If the power goes on, the main switch is on and the generator is on, there
will be a time delay for the relay to disconnect, but any problems will
throw the breaker in the barn for the generator, and the generator will
still be ok.

No it won't as described above.

I'm not digging and running wires, I'm not paying the transfer box sharks,
and I'm doing this effectively, simply and easily. Did any of you hear?

Wannabe. It is neither effective nor workable.

It's the end of the world and we have to do with what we've got. By the
time 10 kw reaches any lineman, it will be too diluted to do any harm.

Depends on how close the lineman is.

It
probably won't make it above 1 volt. The current will be sunk into the
consumer grid abyss.

And that means there won't be any left for you without the transfer switch.

I'm familiar with the N.E.C. and I've used it before.

Like Hell! You do not understand what it has to say about emergency power
systems.

However my resources
are limited, everybody is too scared to give me any better ideas or they
just don't know.

They have been giving you better ideas, you just do not want to use them.

I do know, it is part of what they test for when you take the PE examination
for electrical engineers. I have had my license for 15 years. And i do
know what i am talking about.