Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_2_] David WE Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default Cutting concrete blocks

"JimK" wrote in message
On Feb 27, 3:34 pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message

snip
Also forgot to ask, are you intending adding any butresses? - if the
wall
is longer than 4m, you'll need a buttress in the middle, basically just
stack of blocks, tied into the main wall with tie wires on every course

I will need to add something in the middle of the back wall as it is 7.8m
long.
The front wall will also need some extra support and I am contemplating
how
to work this in around windows, doors, and a place for the stove.
On the front wall this may end up as a fireplace for the stove to provide
sides for protection from the hot metal.

I'd be wary of enclosing your stove too tightly (if at all) as it'll
stifle it and take longer and use more fuel to heat the space up.
Could you praps place it in a corner and let it convect and radiate
out from there without being "boxed in"?

I plead special circumstances.........

As I am building up to my 3 rear boundaries I have decided to site the stove
pipe as far away from all the neighbours and their washing as possible.
This means the location is the middle of the front of the building.
As I intend to have work surfaces either side under the windows I need some
protection from direct radiation and also contact.
I may also make provision for stacking wood either side of the stove to aid
the final drying process.
It depends on how much room I have.
4 blocks high is 900mm which fits nicely with work surfaces.
Air flow will be from a vent by the base of the stove so it won't be
stifled.
It won't be the most efficient radiator and not the most efficient general
heating as I will have two windows on the front wall as well but I do have
the stove already and it should certainly keep the chill off the workshop in
the winter if required.
It should also boil a kettle if required :-)

Question now is will 2 * 900mm high block walls be enough to stabilise the
front wall or will I still need a pillar to the roof?
I could take the walls all the way up at half a block (or a block stood on
end and bonded every other course) or go all the way up at a full block and
build the bottom four courses out further than the top six.

Cheers

Dave R