Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W. Richard W. is offline

Default Tarnow lathes?

"Dave H." wrote in message

"Richard W." wrote ...
"john" wrote...

If you bolt the lathe to the concrete floor you can make it a lot moe
rigid. Also proper leveling makes a big difference. There is an art to
doing long thin parts without getting chatter, a steady rest or follower
rest being manditory.

True, but a lathe with wide ways helps a lot. Tarnows have narrow ways.
At least the ones I have used.

Checking the spec' (translated as best I can from the original Polish,
will go see my Polish friend Mata if I get the manufacturer's handbook!),
it looks like the width of the ways on the smaller ones like this is about
equal to twice the centre height, and not having a bed gap might help
rigidity some? A new reinforced concrete floor (6" or 8" slab with top and
bottom steel mesh on insulation slab over compacted rubble and sand
blinding) is on the cards whatever I end up buying, and ragbolts into the
concrete would be wise, IMHO, to minimise vibration. I've seen machinery
dance across the floor when it hit resonant frequency, don't fancy 2 tons
of lathe chasing me out the door... 1/4 ton of rock'n'rolling ICL
chain-printer was bad enough.

The one I used was bolted to a concrete floor.

Richard W.