Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What went wrong with weatherization

harry wrote:
On Feb 28, 2:13 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Popular Mechanics article on the dismal failure of the stimulus-plan - and
other - weatherization projects.

It's not all bad, though. Ohio is going gang-busters! of the 32,000 units
planned for attention, a whopping 2% have been processed. Ohio leads the
nation!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...vement/4347294...

"I'm from the government and I'm here to dilly-dally."

When I visited the USA a couple of years ago (I'm from the UK) I took
the opportunity to look round a few domestic house construction site.
By UK standards, what I saw was abysmal in terms of energy efficiency.
Houses here in the UK have insulation around four times as
effective,not to mention more efficient windows and draught proofing.
This was Iowa. Our average Winter temperature is maybe 35 deg F.
Iowa maybe 10?. I would say there was no way these houses could be
significantly improved by retrofitting insulation ect. America is
twenty years behing the rest of the world. A bit like American cars
in fact. Useless and outdated.

Another thing that has changed is house size. Houses have gone
from maybe 1700 sq.ft. to 2400 sq.ft. or so. Family size has gone down.

Have you driven a Ford lately?
GM and Chrysler don't count anymore to me. The Feds have those two
companies in their grimy mitts.