Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Drywall 9' walls

"HerHusband" wrote in message
Hanging the sheetrock vertically is wrong because the wooden studs
aren't perfect...Some may bow out , some bow in and some both and if
the layout isn't PERFECT the sheets won't fall in the center of the
stud and you will be adding nailers or trimming off the recessed edge
which then makes it an 8 foot butt joint..Plus any movement ,
expansion or contraction with the changing seasons will cause cracks
and it highlites the imperfections in the framing and generally looks
like ****.

I'm sure there are pro's and con's to each method, but I still prefer
vertical installations. We did our garage and house vertically, and five
years later there are no cracks and no hint of a seam anywhere in the
house.

We had 14'x24' walls in our kitchen/dining area that were easily handled
by installing 14' sheets vertically. No butt joints anywhere. Not to
mention, it would have been difficult to hoist full sheets 8' up to the
top of the wall and hold them there while we fastened them. Maybe no big
deal for a drywall crew, but a deal breaker for a couple of DIY'ers
working alone.

The 24' and 28' walls in our garage also worked out better installing
vertically than horizontally, again, no butt joints.

Of course, we did the framing ourselves too, and were very careful about
the placement of the studs. When the framing is inconsistent, I agree a
vertical installation can be a pain. We recently remodeled some rooms at
my inlaws and the old framing was spaced anywhere from 14" to 18". So, we
did have to install a fair amount of blocking. One of the rooms was
nearly 16' long, and it would have been impossible to get a sheet that
long into the room. Eight foot sheets worked out great, and again, no
butt joints anywhere (except the ceiling).

You wouldn't hang plywood vertically

When we built our house, code REQUIRED all edges of the plywood to be
backed by framing and nailed every 6" around the perimeter. Short of
installing blocking along the entire wall, hanging the plywood vertically
was the only way to meet code and build proper sheer walls.

If it works for plywood, it works for drywall.

Using 54 inch rock is the correct way to
do walls over 8 feet high.

"Correct" means different things to different people.

The average DIY job doesn't have the volume necessary to justify the
special order and/or delivery costs for 54" sheets. Even if I could find
54" sheets at a local supplier, I'd have a hard time hauling them home.

On the other hand, 4x8 sheets are available at any home center, are easy
to haul home in a small trailer or the back of a truck, and are light
enough for one person to carry if needed.

If I had a project large enough to warrant a delivery that may not be an
issue, but for small one room projects it's usually not worth the cost.

Just something to consider.

Anthony

It's NOT special order and delivery is usually free but hey you can do it
however you want....I'm sure it looks good to you and that's all that
matters...To a pro more jonts mean more things can go wrong and time is
MONEY...LOL...I have NEVER seen plywood hung vertically in 30 years of being
on jobsites so I have to say bull**** to that little jem...