Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W. Richard W. is offline

Default Tarnow lathes?

"Dave H." wrote in message
Anyone run into one of these? (bet you barked your shins if you did...)

Done a good G**gle on them, found the manufacturer's site, seems they
still make machine tools (but all my enquiry emails bounce back from their
server...), one I'm looking at (remotely, 8-hour drive away, longer towing
2&1/2 tons of machinery) is a 32cm swing (about 12-13") 100cm (about 40")
between centres *possibly toolroom* lathe from the 60's, wondered if
anyone knew anything of 'em? The guy's after scrap-by-weight value for it,
but thinks it's too good to melt down, says it's just too big for his
shop! Not a lot of tooling with it (maybe just a 3-jaw), apart from what
looks like a taper-turning attachment?

Thanks,
Dave H.
--
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

"Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men" -
Douglas Bader

If it's in good shape it not a bad lathe. The one's I ran were built in the
late 70's and early 80's. They seem to chatter easy on long shafts. I think
they needed more iron in the bed on the longer lathes. (20" swing 10'
centers) Seemed fine for chuck work though, which is most of what we did on
it. Can't say much about a small one like the one you are looking at. It may
be just fine. Although if I was in the market for a new lathe they would be
near the bottom of the list.

Richard W.