Posted to uk.d-i-y
David J David J is offline

Default OT - New corporate buzz phrase

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:23:20 -0000, "newshound"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
When something goes wrong, get the top boss to say "Lessons have been
learned" - (often used by Social Services departments - but car
manufacturers are catching on.)

With so many lessons being learned we may soon have no errors.

The slightly unfair thing about some of the social services stories, written
in hindsight, is that they ignore the point that a more rigorous system
could raise many more false positives, which are also potentially very
harmful. (Not defending errors, rather challenging the *reporting*).

More on this theme in Ben Goldacre's excellent book.

Whenever that phrase is trotted out, I am inclined to think that the
management is operating in a 'trial and error' mode - and at the
public's expense. It's just a pathetic excuse really.

DJ