Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Harbor Freight Multi-tool WOW!

On 2/26/10 8:54 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 2/26/2010 3:43 PM -MIKE- spake thus:
I've had mine for about a year and it's saved me a ton of time, but:
Unless you really torque it, the blades tend to vibrate loose.

I thought this was THE major problem with the HF units and made them no
bargain. Has someone figured out a solution or are they OK if used
only in the occassional home DIY environment?

I've never experience them coming loose.

Apparently the old "multifunction tool" (the one I got for $35 recently)
has this problem. After looking at the mounting system for the cutting
tools, I can see why: there are 4 little nubs on the mounting plate that
could easily get worn down.

That's the one I have. There are no nubs anywhere. There are four
holes in the blades that do not correspond with with anything on the
tool. The tool has tiny rings that give it some texture. When I take a
blade off, I notice how the rings get embossed onto the blades.

It's possible there is a new version of the single speed tool that has
nubs. Mine have nothing. I have noticed on the old one that it's easy
to mount the blade NOT perfectly centered over a center ring on the
tool, which would interfere with it being fully tightened.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--