Posted to uk.d-i-y
Douglas de Lacey Douglas de Lacey is offline

Default best charger for nicd and nimh batteries

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Douglas de Lacey wrote:
I have an Innovations (rememeber them?) recharger which was claimed to
recharge standard alkalines as well as NiCds. Works pretty well on both
and I'm sure I've seen something similar recently.

Those claims have been refuted. Unless you 'recharge' the alkaline long
before it is exhausted. In which case there's little point in using them
given how cheap proper rechargeables are now. Unless you need the 1.5
volts.

Hi, Dave, I was hoping someone would bite as I was never able to find
any hard data about them. My own experience was entirely heuristic: run
my radios till they stopped working, replace batteries with a recharged
set and recharge the dead ones. Worked fine for years. Remember this was
in the very, very early days of rechargeables, but I still have a coupla
alkalines still working after many recharges. Nowadays I agree there's
virtually no point.

I'd be interested in seeing a more scientific evaluation if you have a
reference lying to hand.

Douglas de Lacey