Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default best charger for nicd and nimh batteries

Hi,

I was wondering about using rechargeable batteries for our children's
toys. I know that rechargeable batteries are suited better to some
applications than others; do you think they would be suitable for
these? I think it is only low drain uses, such as clocks, where
rechargeables don't perform well, isn't it?

What is the best charger to buy? I thought Uniross was supposed to be
the name in rechargeable technology but I've read a few reviews on
amazon of their charges and they are criticised for being timed
chargers rather than intelligent chargers. The energiser charger
appears to be highly recommended though one criticism is that it only
charges pairs of batteries and many toys use three at a time.

Is there an intelligent charger than charges batteries individually?

I'm likely to buy nimh. Why are these preferred over nicd? Is it just
that cadmium is not friendly? Is there any advantage to ever using
nicd? Would one charger charge both if I ever needed or are some
chargers nicd or nimh only?

Finally, I see that AA batteries are rated at 2700mAh and C and D
cells are rated 2600mAh. I would have expected a larger battery to
have had a higher capacity; why not?

Thanks in advance.