Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_5_] Steve Barker[_5_] is offline

Default Drywall 9' walls

DD_BobK wrote:
On Feb 22, 9:47 pm, Steve Barker wrote:
willshak wrote:
Steve Barker wrote the following:
Gonna be helping a friend build a new house after a complete burnout.
His ceilings are going to be 9'. what is the standard procedure for
drywalling 9' walls?
thanks
steve
Same as for 8' high walls, but you have to get 10' high panels and cut
1' off them.

Well normally 8' walls would be hung horizontally. Hate the thought of
all those vertical tape joints.

Out in SoCal, I've seen 9' ceilings done with two 4' wide sheets (hung
horizontally) and a "belly band" of about 1' between the two sheets.

I was surprised at this configuration since not all belly band edges
would be tapered. But I guess ease of taping (more accessible height)
was more imorptant than edge tapers?

cheers
Bob

thanks for the reply. I did do one wall this way in an older house we
rehabbed. I had to tear out one plaster wall to replace a sewer stack
and did exactly what you said here. It worked out well having the band
in the middle. At least no bending over to work it.