Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What's the Miter with You? Square your Miter Gauge!

Father Haskell wrote:

On Feb 21, 10:27Â*am, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
A quick and accurate method to square your miter gauge:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

I know I have started threads in the past that describe this method,
but I finally put it in a video. Â*If a picture speaks a thousand
words... Â* Yeah, I know, there are dozens of methods for doing this
and that the 'old dogs' that use a square pushed against the blade and
the miter gauge will never change but...

Enjoy

---www.garagewoodworks.com

This presumes that the blade is aligned dead on with the
miter slot.

That's what his TS Aligner Jr is for. :-)

More seriously, if the blade is not aligned dead on with the mitre slot,
you have a lot of other potential problems since one is setting up cuts
under that assumption. If the two planes are not parallel, then even
squaring up at the start of the cut is not going to be very helpful since
the remaining part of the cut will move the stock out of plane with the
sawblade.

It would also help to have an extension fence attached
to the miter gauge face, for the same reason that you use a
#8 to joint an edge instead of a block plane.

That said, I now have another use for my indicator and my
18" Starrett combo square.

Rob Leatham