Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default What's the Miter with You? Square your Miter Gauge!

On Feb 21, 11:54*am, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
On Feb 21, 11:52*am, Upscale wrote:

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 08:34:20 -0800 (PST), Father Haskell

wrote:
This presumes that the blade is aligned dead on with the
miter slot.

That said, I've always wondered if there was any practical way to
align a blade to the miter slot if they were not parallel from the get
go? ~ Unless of course, there was some type of adjustment built into
the arbour shaft of the saw, something I've admittedly never
investigated.

The only two ways I can envision to fix such a problem would be to
shim the blade in the arbour or possibly to sand/grind the miter slot
so that it was parallel. Both these methods would be quite difficult
to accomplish properly in my opinion.

You would have to loosen the table from underneath and wack with a
mallet until aligned. *Re-tighten bolts.- Hide quoted text -

For a contractor's saw, loosen the back trunnion and
reposition as needed. PALS brackets are handy,
but not necessary. Helps to shim the trunnion (or
top, in the case of a cabinet saw) level, too, as long
as you have it loose, so bevel cuts are less likely
to burn at the heel end.