Posted to rec.woodworking
Garagewoodworks Garagewoodworks is offline

Default What's the Miter with You? Square your Miter Gauge!

On Feb 21, 3:02*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
On 2/21/2010 1:58 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

On Feb 21, 1:32 pm, Larry *wrote:
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 11:09:13 -0500, the infamous GarageWoodworks
wrote:

A quick and accurate method to square your miter gauge:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

I know I have started threads in the past that describe this method,
but I finally put it in a video. *If a picture speaks a thousand
words... * Yeah, I know, there are dozens of methods for doing this
and that the 'old dogs' that use a square pushed against the blade and
the miter gauge will never change but...

Brian, glare and insufficient contrast on that vid make it so that I
cannot see the face or needle on the dial indicator, even in the inset
shots, even with my computer glasses on. *

--
"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Clarence Darrow

yes, that was a problem. *It's not really glare, but the quality of
the camera. *When I zoomed in tight the dial face was clear, but my
gauge and square was out of frame. *I either needed a high def camera
or a second camera that was zoomed in. *On my computer I CAN see the
dial when it is moving. Otherwise it was very difficult to see. *I did
my best with what I have.

Better camera won't help the particular problem. *If you watch your
video you'll see that the dial on the TS-aligner off to the left is much
clearer than the dial indicator that you are using. *Also if you look
closely at your hands you'll see a lot of white areas--what
photographers call "blown highlights". *If your camera has exposure
control try adjusting it to darken the image a bit and I think it will
be clearer. *Alternatively, try playing with the positions of your
lights to put the light where you want it and at the angle you want it.
* If you haven't read
http://www.amazon.com/Light-Science-Introduction-Photographic-Lightin...
you might find it very worthwhile.

Ok. Thanks. Maybe I will re-shoot that segment.