Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default What's the Miter with You? Square your Miter Gauge!

On 2/21/2010 1:58 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
On Feb 21, 1:32 pm, Larry wrote:
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 11:09:13 -0500, the infamous GarageWoodworks
wrote:

A quick and accurate method to square your miter gauge:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

I know I have started threads in the past that describe this method,
but I finally put it in a video. If a picture speaks a thousand
words... Yeah, I know, there are dozens of methods for doing this
and that the 'old dogs' that use a square pushed against the blade and
the miter gauge will never change but...

Brian, glare and insufficient contrast on that vid make it so that I
cannot see the face or needle on the dial indicator, even in the inset
shots, even with my computer glasses on.

--
"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt."
-- Clarence Darrow

yes, that was a problem. It's not really glare, but the quality of
the camera. When I zoomed in tight the dial face was clear, but my
gauge and square was out of frame. I either needed a high def camera
or a second camera that was zoomed in. On my computer I CAN see the
dial when it is moving. Otherwise it was very difficult to see. I did
my best with what I have.

Better camera won't help the particular problem. If you watch your
video you'll see that the dial on the TS-aligner off to the left is much
clearer than the dial indicator that you are using. Also if you look
closely at your hands you'll see a lot of white areas--what
photographers call "blown highlights". If your camera has exposure
control try adjusting it to darken the image a bit and I think it will
be clearer. Alternatively, try playing with the positions of your
lights to put the light where you want it and at the angle you want it.
If you haven't read
http://www.amazon.com/Light-Science-Introduction-Photographic-Lighting/dp/0240808193/ref=pd_sim_b_8
you might find it very worthwhile.