Posted to uk.d-i-y
cynic cynic is offline

Default Is planning control normally involved in the replacement of aboiler? Sorry, long post.

On 20 Feb, 20:39, "Nick" wrote:
Good evening to all,

my mum's oil fired boiler needs renewing. She is elderly and registered
blind. I live 4 hours travel away.
Gas is not available where she lives.
I will be paying the costs for the new installation and thus would like to
be kept informed.
Existing 15yo boiler is 50K btu and, frankly, on its last legs.

SNIP

First of all IS the boiler on its last legs or would a competent
service engineer bring it up to original standard (subject to cosmetic
finish)
At 15 years it could be good for a lot more years or it could need
replacing tomorrow.
Grant build the boiler (box full of water) and fit a standard burner
to it. If the boiler itself is sound I would be inclined to stick with
it for the time being. IF it is showing signs of leakage then its in
need of replacement.
What model of burner is fitted to it? If you have a Riello it will be
entirely repairable for some time to come. Other makes may be a
different story but S/H burners can be obtained cheaply by anyone in
the trade who has replaced boilers in the past.
Grant used steel plate bafles in some of their models. Its not rocket
science to have replacements cut locally if these are heat damaged.
Maybe you can give more info about what on its last legs really means?