Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
[email protected] keithw86@gmail.com is offline

Default 90 amps for electric car charge!

On Feb 18, 10:11*am, wrote:
On Feb 18, 12:07*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 2/17/2010 1:00 PM Michael A. Terrell spake thus:

Bob F wrote:

The permits are the city, the power utility is the city. What's laughable?

* *I've never lived anywhere where "the power utility is the city", so
you are laughable.

You've never heard of municipal power companies? Lessee, not far from
where I live, Palo Alto, Sacramento, and several others I can't think of
just at the moment run their own power systems within their cities.
Marin County just decided to set up a county-wide power authority. So
yes, in many places "the power utility is the city".

Now who's laughing?

I guess we still are laughing because the real issue was that the
poster claimed utilities are routinely notified by residential
customers when they add significant loads to their homes. * First he
claimed it was required of homeowners by utilities directly. * Then he
claimed it was because you had to get a permit for electrical work.
Then he claimed that because his electric utility happens to be run by
the municipality, that when you get an electric permit, that counts as
notifying the utility.

He also claimed that the muni *always* notified the power company,
even were they weren't under the same political entity.

No question there are some electric utilities owned and run by
municipalities. * The rest of that is obvious hogwash. * Any of us
that have actually pulled permits know that the permit doesn't ask for
or calculate the actual load. * *You get a permit to put in a new 50
amp sub-panel or a permit to put in six 15 amp circuits. * Big deal,
what does that mean? * *It says nothing about what might or might not
actually be connected to those circuits, only the theoretical
maximum. * *And the utility already knows what the theoretical maximum
is. *It's the service rating installed to the house, eg 200 amps.

The only permit I have ever pulled was for a garage and the power was
ancillary. There was no mention of number of circuits or their
ampacity or any other implementation details.
The inspector inspected what was there.