Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair

Default 90 amps for electric car charge!

On Feb 17, 1:19*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 17, 9:46 am, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 16, 7:26 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 16, 11:00 am, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote:

You have a choice. In his hypothetical case of several homes
sharing a transformer, you can either design for worst case or
ignore it. The latter could very well result in the transformer
overloading and the homes being without power.

As with any other big addition of power using equipment, you let
the power Cc. know what you are doing (By getting a permit?) The
transformer problem is then their responsibility. At least that
was what I was told when I added a hot tub years ago.

You're the first residential user that I ever heard of that
notified the power company because they were installing a hot
tub. In the rest of the residential world, no one is keeping
track of what loads get added. You put in a 200amp service and
that's the end of the story. If you need more capacity, THEN you
call the electric company and upgrade to 300amps.

So no one you know gets an electrical permit when adding a major
circuit?- Hide quoted text -

You get permit for electrical work from the local municipality. They
usually charge a fee and send out an inspector to make sure the work
is done according to code. What does any of that have to do with
your claim that the power company routinely gets notified when you
add a large residential load like a hot tub? Please provide a cite
for that. I'd also welcome hearing from anyone else here that
notified the power company that they were adding a hot tub or
similar load. You notify the power company when you need an upgrade
in the service capacity to the house.

Just as I said. The power utility told me they need to know about
major additions. They said if I added something large, and they did
not know, I could be responsible for damage to the transformer. I
assumed that they generally got the info from the permit process,
since a permit is required for any electrical addition.

Complete nonsense. *As long as your usage is within your service
capabilities you have no obligation to inform anyone of added loads.
In some jurisdictions you're required to (though few do) pull a permit
for electrical work, though in reality this is for *tax* purposes.
The power company doesn't know anything about it. *You assume
government is looking out for something other than themselves.
Laughable.

The permits are the city, the power utility is the city. What's laughable?

Well, there's the confusion right there. Many utilities are in the
private
sector. For example, my "city" is Pittsfield Township. My electric
utility is
DTE Energy, a publicly traded corporation.

Cindy Hamilton