Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Ban[_2_] Ban[_2_] is offline

Default 45-degree diagonal cutters?

Wild_Bill wrote:
I'm not playing this game, but you're entirely incorrect that there
are no hand tool cutters that are capable of, or intended to
withstand the cutting forces of steel.

Cotter pins, safety lockwire, steel fence wire and various other
steel wire products are routinely cut with hand tool diagonal cutters
or wire cutters that are not specifically made for copper or aluminum
only. Many quality wiring pliers/crimpers/strippers include screw cutters,
that cut steel screws without any damage to the tool.

The cutters don't have to be big Channelock, Klein or other
industrial duty models.
I have miniature cutters that I've cut steel wire with for many years
without damage, and have also been used to cut small springs. The
cutting edges are unharmed.

My Channelock side cutters and several other wire cutters I own have
cut lots of nails, been used to pull nails and large steel staples,
even at the tips of the cutting edges, without damage to the tools.
I don't try to cut drywall screws with them, or twist drills, or
endmills. They still cut stranded or solid copper wire and cables
just fine, and nylon cord or steel coat hanger wire or any other
materials that I need them to cut, essentially like they were still
new.
The only attention that these cutters and pliers have needed in many
years of use, is an occasional 1 or 2 drops of oil at the hinge, and
proper storage.

right, I have here a pair of wirecutters made by Belzer (Titan2000) which I
bought in '86. Sill perfect with a small spring that keeps the cut wires
from flying into your eyes.
ciao Ban