Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder[_2_] Fred Holder[_2_] is offline

Default Tear out when turning

On Feb 14, 4:28 pm, "Dan Jefferson" wrote:
I have been getting some tear out in certain spots when turning the inside and outside of some maple bowels.
It seems to occur when there is a change in the density of the wood. It is a pain to smooth while the rest of the bowel cleans up really nice.
Is this a matter of sanding, dull tools, type of wood, or changes within the density of the wood being turned?
Yes, I am a new turner. Any tips or advice appreciated.

Dan

Hello Dan,

You've received some good replies and sharp tools is probably the
reason for the tearout. However, you must realize that when turning a
bowl there is alternating side grain and endgrain. The endgrain is the
place where the tearout is most likely to happen. If the wood is
slightly spalted or even starting to rot the end grain will be very
difficult to completely avoid some tearout. I have a bowl in work now
that is heavily spalted. A few passes with a very sharp chisel gave me
tremendous tearout on the end grain portion. I soaked it for a day is
Turner's Choice and let it dry for about three days and then remounted
it. A pass with a sharp gouge and there was no longer tearout. I've
found that Turner's Choice, which is expensive, makes any wood turn
easier and with less tearout.

I have no relation to Turner's Choice except that they have been an
advertiser in More Woodturning magazine. I believe their advertisement
is in the sample issue available on my web site.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net