Posted to alt.home.repair
krw[_5_] krw[_5_] is offline

Default Need indicator light in the mailbox to see if anything is inside

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:14:48 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

willshak wrote:
Gary H wrote the following:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:17:57 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
wrote:

I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for my
mailbox.

Here's the situation.
* It's a custom mailbox, basically a door cemented in a pillar of
concrete
* It just has a square metal door with a brass inside latch (all metal)
* It's higher than my eyes in the car window by about a foot
* So I have to reach inside to see if anything is in there
* It doesn't even have one of those little red (manual) flags
* There isn't 120v lighting but landscape lighting is only a foot away

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such
that an
internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the mailbox.

Any pointers?

Train a dog to run to the door and bark when anyone other than you
opens your mailbox.

My daughter's Yorkie barks when the mailman leaves mail.
He sits on the back of the couch watching out the window. He also barks
when anyone rings the doorbell, or when any truck enters our driveway,
or enters any neighbor's driveway, or parks and idles anyplace on our
street (a short cul-de-sac), or at anyone walking on the street.

Oh he sounds like LOTS of fun to have in the house....
(Not a fan of overcompensating neurotic little yappy dogs that couldn't
survive a single night on their own in the big scary outdoors...)

Oh, but it's so fun when your neighbors keep their yappy dogs (Jack
Russel, and two mini-weenies) outside overnight in the big scary
outdoors so they can bark at the breeze.