Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default 45-degree diagonal cutters?

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 22:54:58 -0500, RFI-EMI-GUY
wrote:

On 2/12/2010 6:41 AM, Greegor wrote:
Can anybody tell me why Xcelite nut drivers smell like puke?

Cellulose Acetate Butyrate.
http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=384
It's mildly aromatic forming Butyric Acid, which is what makes rancid
butter and vomit smell so disgusting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyric_acid
Old Sears Craftsman handles are made from the same stuff. My ancient
Xcelite nut driver set still reeks after about 40 years. The stuff is
an organic fatty acid as my plastic handles have now accumulated a
layer of white mold or fungus. You can use any chlorinated
hydrocarbon solvent to clean the plastic, but that will draw out the
Butyric Acid, resulting in even a worse smell.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D