Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Tear out when turning

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 19:28:00 -0500, "Dan Jefferson"
wrote:

I have been getting some tear out in certain spots when turning the inside and outside of some maple bowels.
It seems to occur when there is a change in the density of the wood. It is a pain to smooth while the rest of the bowel cleans up really nice.
Is this a matter of sanding, dull tools, type of wood, or changes within the density of the wood being turned?
Yes, I am a new turner. Any tips or advice appreciated.

Dan

There is no easy answer, Dan, but "most" tearout is from either the tool not
being sharp enough or your cutting/shearing angle being wrong..

If I make a few passes after sharpening and it's still tearing out, I throw in
the towel and use a scraper.. Same as any tool, sharp and light cuts..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing